Wednesday, July 01, 2009

LOCKED IN!


Wow. What a day I had! I awoke before Daddy left for work so Mama was going to take me on an early morning walk because it was actually cooler outside today. She forgot that I had been up a while and I hadn't eaten, so we had to come back after about 5 minutes because I was hungry. We went to the pool today and I smiled at the lifeguards and little kids. There is an older lady who is always there and she always comes over to say hi to me. I slept while Mama practiced the piano and cleaned and then we decided to make a trip to the bank, Brusters (to get certificates for the piano student winners of the memorizing competition), and Walmart. Mama said we were out of diapers and almost out of wipes and napkins. Since I've been starting to eat real food... yeah, we really needed diapers and wipes! As we walked back to the car, I got really interested in the automatic key lock and was bending over to reach for it as Mama was carrying me and pushing the big cart. Since I'm pretty heavy now, Mama decided that rather than carrying me horizontally with one hand as I was bound and determined to grab the keys from her hand, it would be easier for me to hold onto the keys as she pushed the cart. "Now don't drop the keys, Robert," Mama said. We got to the car, I got in my car seat, still holding the keys, and Mama unloaded the goods. We always park by the cart racks, so she closed the door and turned her back for about 3 seconds to push the cart to the rack. I pushed the LOCK button and as Mama turned back to open the door, IT WAS LOCKED! I didn't realize this at the time and just went about my business putting the automatic key in and out of my mouth and smiling at Mama who was white as a ghost and running around the car trying to unlock the doors. Mama kept saying, "Please, Lord, help Robert to push the unlock button!" Mama told me later that I actually pushed it but I needed to push it 2x in order for the doors to open. Mama realized her cell phone was inside the locked car so she started to panic. It was about 90+ degrees out today. She flagged down a lady who had 3 kids and asked her if she could call the police. The lady was taking too long to try and reach her mom who was working at the front desk at Walmart.... Mama was getting anxious! Then I managed to drop the keys. I really wanted to play with them, so I managed to roll out of my car seat (since Mama hadn't yet locked me in) and fall onto the Impala back seat. Mama just about fainted and waved down a man who was driving a big red construction van. She said, "Please, sir, can you break into my car? My little 6 month old is in there!" He said, "Sure!" Then he took a huge metal thing and I heard this huge crash on the passenger side. I started to cry a little and Mama had me in her arms in seconds. Then the kind man (whose name is also Robert) used duct tape and some paper to seal up what was left of the smashed window. He said he had a really hard day since his employee quit and he had extra jobs to do. Mama was so thankful he took the time to stop and help her. Mama brushed off a few pieces of glass from where I was sitting and realized that it was probably of the Lord that I fell out of my car seat since I was farthest away from the window. We drove home and let Daddy call the insurance company. The paper window was flapping so loudly that I sat stunned in the backseat. When we got home, Mama took me in her arms and kept saying, "I'm so glad you are OK!" Daddy found out the insurance will cover the whole expense and that they will come to our home to fix it tomorrow morning. Mama spent some time cleaning up the broken glass but Daddy had to spend another 90 minutes tonight to clean it all up really well. I don't think Mama will ever let me play with her keys again.

1 comment:

Deb said...

OMG! I have goose bumps!

I love stories with happy endings!